Our visions begin with our desires.
~ Audre Lorde
The summer is slowing fading. As the sun sets earlier every day and all things that ripen are quickly doing so, I’m feeling the hints of changes to come, and maybe you are too. I love this time year, because fall is when school starts again bringing with it new challenges. For me as a kid it meant new clothes, new teachers, and exciting possibilities seemed to abound. I see our new year at the fellowship like that too.
Our Soul Matters theme for the month of September is Vision. It asks us to reflect on what we want from this coming year. What would it mean for us to be a people of vision? I think, especially in these unsettling and challenging times for our nation and our planet, that we might be inclined to despair and retreat. I feel that way sometimes too. But together, we can do something else. We can use our collective creativity and our imagination to bring about the world we want, where justice, peace, and reason abound. I think this is true for our fellowship too. We have been growing. We have been changing, inside and out. And our collective vision for
what’s next will shape our future.
Here are just a few things that I’m excited about.
- First, I’m excited for our children. We have a new format for our children’s religious education that is aligned with what the whole fellowship is doing in worship and in small group ministry. Our Director of Religious Education, Jane Clay, offers more on that in
- I’m inspired that our work on understanding and addressing racism is moving now into our wider community. This is one of the reasons I could not be prouder to be this fellowship’s minister.
- We are already gearing up for Soul Matters Sharing Circles; they offer connection and community like nothing else in this fellowship. I hope you’ll consider taking part in one of these small groups.
- I’m eager to get together again with people who are filled with love, and passion, and compassion, who know we are better together than we are alone. Your music director, Sarah Dan Jones, and I have already begun pulling together services for the coming year.
- I’m excited to sing, worship, and to share our life’s journey together. Who knows all the good things that are yet to come out of our new year?
Our visions come out of our desires. Let us be clear about who we want to be, what we could be, and then set our imaginations free on the wings of hope and commitment to each other and a world made better by our care. Bring a little water from your summer to the Water Communion service on September 9th as we enter this new season together again. I’m so happy to be beginning again with you.
In faith and love,